What's Your Story? Paul in Galatians

"For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers." - Galatians 1:11-14   

Pretty amazing stuff. Paul didn't have to confer with others about the gospel, he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. He experienced truth incarnate, the word of God made flesh, and forever changed. How about you, what's your story of transformation if any? Paul here before being blindsided by the risen Jesus thought he was on the right track in life. He tried to literally destroy the church. Just look at Acts where Stephen is stoned to death...
"Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep. And Saul approved of his execution. And there arose on that day a great persecution against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles. Devout men buried Stephen and made great lamentation over him. But Saul was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison." Sound familiar to stuff we hear in the news today? Religious fanatics killing in the name of whatever. The political left and right spewing hatred and hurling ridiculous insults.    

Paul thought he was doing something great for his religion, ridding the world of Christians. And he did it with fervor. The thing is, passion and sincerity don't equate to truth. Truth by definition is exclusive. So, what beliefs in your life are actually hurting you or others?    

Perhaps about God? Do you see Him as a stern and wrathful judge looking to ruin your life or a longsuffering and caring father that wants the best for you. Or perhaps you think he's a magic genie that will grant your every desire despite the numerous passages in scripture that teach otherwise. It reminds me of the resiliency skill of detecting icebergs, which in effect are deep beliefs and core values that fuel out-of-proportion emotion. For example, when I pray for something and don't get the desired outcome. Do I throw a fit and yell at God? Perhaps I need to reevaluate what my beliefs about God are and determine if these said beliefs help or hurt me.   

And speaking of me, what's my story?  Well for one, I was seduced and driven by culture and all that it promised. A kind of feel good mentality. I was willing to do anything for, well, me. In high school I would make fun of Christians for their worldview and closed-mindedness. I had come up with my own philosophy of life and I believed in doing whatever I wanted. Happiness was the ultimate goal, a self-centered attempt to gain appeasement and goodness in my own eyes. I enjoyed the freedom I had given myself...but actually, I was deeply empty, longing for something greater...

Both Paul and I were sorely wrong. Thankfully, God had far greater plans for both of us AND each of you! God wants to use each of us to advance his kingdom, but a lot of people say, "What is Gods purpose for my life, why won't he answer me?" Well, have you ever thought about God using other people as His plan A? In the book, "How People Grow," authors Cloud and Townsend state, "The church, with its indwelling Spirit, is the real physical presence of Christ on earth today." That means we keep each other accountable, lift each other up, and use our gifts to help one another. 

Reading further in the passage we see that God used this great persecutor of the church to bring the gospel of good news to the masses..."But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus..." You hear that? Paul didn't have to go straight to seminary, get ordained, or ask permission from anyone to share the love and awesome truth that he experienced, he just went out and proclaimed! And as we read further..."Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days. But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord's brother. (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!) Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only were hearing it said, "He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." And they glorified God because of me."   

What!? People glorified God because of what they heard of Paul, that he had done a complete 180 and was now fervently for Jesus. As for me, Jesus found me in February of 2007 and He showed me that He alone is the way, the truth, and the life. That in Him the abundant life is found, not in the world and its deceptive so-called pleasures. Today I know that Christ alone brings fulfillment, joy, and the ultimate sense of purpose. And that is why I stand before you today, because Gods life-changing love cannot be ignored, it cannot be put on the back burner. It's infectious, all consuming, and utterly amazing. 

What about each of you? If your Christian, do people see a life changed or nothing? If you're not Christian, that is, you have not yielded your life to Jesus to begin an inner transformation, would you? Would you want to be loved, transformed, embraced, and used for Gods superior purposes? What was your life story, what is it right now, and what can it be in Gods hands?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pray, Do Not Be Anxious

Oh LORD, You're So Great

Discipleship