Righteous Weeping

You ever have that knot well up in the back of your throat because you’re trying to hold back tears? And along with that knot your nose starts running and dripping because your tear ducts are connected to your nasal passage? That’s me pretty much EVERY SINGLE DAY! Yeah, I know, I’m a 13-year Army Veteran with a background in law enforcement and am suppose to be this tough and stoic guy, or wait, am I?

Jacob kisses Rachel and weeps
At least that’s what society tells us a man is suppose to be; strong, courageous, brave, and a stone-cold killa…ok, maybe not the last one, but you get where I’m going. Why is this? Is it biblical? I say wholeheartedly, NO! I think I’m in pretty good company when it comes to righteous weeping as I call it. Looking at the big players in the bible we find Jacob, who would later be named Israel and would father the men who would grow and make up the 12 tribes. In verse 11 of Genesis 29 it states, “Then Jacob kissed Rachel and wept aloud.” One word, awesome. He was so enamored and dumbstruck by her presence, beauty, and mystique that he could do nothing else, but kiss her and weep. This reminds me of when my wife and I started dating. We were hanging out at my apartment in Long Island City and we got in a little fight, so she grabbed her coat and purse and stormed off to the subway. I sat in my room just fuming, cursing under my breath and just spiraling into misery, but then it hit me, I love this girl, I can’t just let her run out of my life. I grabbed my coat, slipped on my shoes and ran after her, literally. I caught her about a block from the subway and grabbed her and pulled her close and said, “NEVER do that again,” and both of us just lost it. I know the circumstances are vastly different, but the underlying theme and emotion is love. That I think is one of the greatest and most noble reasons to weep righteously; so overcome with love, there is nothing else that can be done, but weep.

This love and compassion maintains momentum throughout scripture and comes to a head in the persons of Jesus and Paul. First, there is our Lord and Savior, the Messiah, the Christ, who, so overcome by sadness and compassion for his people in Jerusalem that would soon see destruction, “wept over it” (Luke 19:41). As theologian and bible commentator Matthew Henry wrote, “There are cases in which it is no disparagement to the stoutest of men to melt into tears.”[1] These tears of Jesus that wet his face were similar to the previous fall of that great city that was known as the exile, where the poet in Lamentations wrote, “…my eyes cause me grief at the fate of all the daughters of my city” (3:51). Brothers and sisters in Christ, do you not weep for those that perish without the saving knowledge of Jesus, who unapologetically stated, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)? I look at friends and family who do not know Him and yes, I weep out of my love for them as well as my deep concern, though I know it is God the Father who ultimately draws them (John 6:44).

Poor Papa Watson, so full of joy
Then we have the great apostle Paul, who wept often because of his tireless devotion and longing to bring his people, the Jews, to a saving relationship with Jesus. He told the Elders in Ephesus that he served “the Lord with all humility and with tears…” (Acts 20:19), and that he, “did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears” (20:31). To the Christians in Corinth whom were perverting the Word through petty quarrels and pride he wrote, “out of much anguish of heart and with many tears.” Not to make them feel bad or to scold them, but to
let them know of the boundless love he had for them (2 Cor. 2:4).

Although there are many more awesome godly men that wept, such as David who would flood his bed and couch with tears over his circumstances (Psalms 6:6-7) and Jeremiah, the “weeping prophet,” who anguished over God’s impending judgment upon Judah, those I discussed above shall suffice for now.

Just recently I went away on a trip, but before going I asked E if I could pray over her. Now in our home the dining area is raised, which is perfect for hugs and kisses given our height difference, so with her standing on the raised section and me below, yet still taller, we embraced each other as I prayed that God would guide her, protect her, and set upon her heart the peace of the Spirit. Rocking back and forth together, her face on my shoulder, I prayed. Upon the final amen we looked at each other with streams of salty tears running down each other’s faces.  Love weeps.

Best Man speech, not a dry eye in the crowd
I simply pray that as God moves your heart and as your will aligns with His that you do not hold back the God-given gift and cleansing power of tears (similar to that of the mystical phoenix as seen in Harry Potter). They are not the, “Ooh I stubbed my toe, you hurt my feelings type of tears.” No, they are the raw, deep, and gut-wrenchingly pure tears that come from a heart shaped by God.

As I finish this post, I cannot help but reminisce of the many times I have righteously wept for the pleasure of just knowing Jesus. His love drives me to my knees, for I know I deserve nothing.

Thank you E for allowing me to worship with you, to pray with you, and to love you. Daily you remind me of Christ’s love, affection, and mercy because I know I’m not the easiest person to be with at times. I will continue to, as scripture states, to weep when you weep and I know you will do the same for me.

- Happy Valentine's Day E!





[1] Matthew Henry, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume (Peabody: Hendrickson, 1994), Lk 19:41–48.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pray, Do Not Be Anxious

Oh LORD, You're So Great

Discipleship