Ah Weddings, So Much Fun!

Sorry it has been so long since my last post, but I have my reasons.

The biggest reason is that my beautiful wife Elizabeth and myself flew out to Colorado where I officiated a wedding for a couple that attend the church we all go to.  It was quite the experience...

I had been doing premarital counseling with the couple for about 10 weeks and during the last session I read through the message I was going to orate, so that they could actually hear what I would say and internalize it without the pressure of being on the altar, tears streaming, and hundreds of people staring. I also went through the rest of the ceremony so it wouldn't be a total surprise.  Well, being the perfectionist that I am I tend to write out the prayers beforehand too.  The bride however, being the prayer warrior she is, mentioned that it would be ok to also just "let the Spirit lead" me.  This comment was specifically directed at the laying of hands portion.  What!?  Go off script and wing it, umm, I guess so...

In my head I was thinking, "I want this wedding to be awesome, but how do I make it special and Spirit led when I'm reading out of a three-ring binder I prepared weeks ago?"  So, I did what any other Christian would do, I prayed.  I prayed that God would stir the Spirit within me and move every person at the ceremony, that they too would be filled and overcome with God's presence.

Fast forward to the actual wedding day/ceremony.  It was going great. People laughed at my jokes, everyone had big smiles on their faces, it was beautiful.  Then came the laying of hands.  I explained what it was, that it was a way to confer a blessing and protection upon the newly weds.  I then invited those that were comfortable doing so to join me on the altar.  I waited for everyone to come up and then it happened, as I started the prayer my eyes welled up with tears.  I had to stop and breath, so that I could continue without completely breaking down.  I slowly, full of emotion and the Holy Spirit, made my way through each word, pausing to catch my breath, to take in this most awesome experience.  I looked up periodically and realized there wasn't a dry eye in the entire room, my prayer had been answered.

Truth be told, this was not the first time I broke down in tears.  After the original prayer I made requesting to be filled with the spirit, I broke down EVERY time I rehearsed the laying of hands portion of the ceremony.  God is pretty awesome:)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pray, Do Not Be Anxious

Oh LORD, You're So Great

Discipleship